The Central Medical Store headed by Chief Medical Officer (Store) supported by various pharmacists with the motive of ensuring ready availability of drugs and medicines(Allopathic Ayurvedic and Homeopathic) by adopting the following streamline procedure for :
• Procurement, storage and distribution of human drugs, medicines (Allopathy, Ayurveda and Homeopathy), Surgicals & Sutures, kits, reagents to the Government Health Institutions of this Union Territory
• Procurement and installation of medical equipments to the government medical institutions of this Union Territory.
• Finalization of Annual Rate Contract for Drugs and Medicines for direct procurement.
• Finalization of Annual rate contract for various frequently used surgical appliances, Instruments for direct procurement.
• Procurement of medicine from Govt. Medical Store Depot under Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
• Providing support services for maintenance of medical and non medical equipments in the Medical Institution in the State.
• The medicines (Allopathy, Ayurveda and Homeopathy), Surgicals & Sutures, kits, reagents and medical instruments were stored in the store in order to meet the requirements of various Government Health Institutions of this Union Territory.
• Annual requirements are collected from Various Health institutions of this Territory and based on such requirements the medicines were procured and stored to ensure availability of all the life saving drugs. Almost, a stock of minimum 06 months requirements are stored.
Future Plan :
• Space for new store house to stock medicines.
• Computerisation of Central Medical Store and implementation of e-procurement
All the medicine medicines (Allopathy, Ayurveda and Homeopathy), Surgicals & Sutures, kits, reagents and medical instruments distributed to all the Government Health institution under the Directorate of Health Services, Dispensary of Chatham Saw Mill and Police Dispensaries including all Look out post of Police free of cost to meet their requirements.
Mostly, the medicines are issued to all the Primary Health Institutions, Community Health institutions and District Hospitals of Mayabunder and Car Nicobar directly on quarterly basis. The medicines for G.B.Pant Hospital, Port Blair the lone referral Hospital of these Islands are issues on monthly basis and also as and when required basis.
The stocks are regularly checked for expiry date and supplied to all centres and hospital first in first out (FIFO) and first expiry first out (FEFO).