(a) Pre Independence era
In the year 1946 during the Japanese occupation the civil Hospital started functioning at Perka Village, Car Niocbar
(b) After Independence:-
In the year 1958 the Chief of Tribal Council Late Mr.ThomasHalainypa called upon all the village Headman of Nicobar and requested them to provide suitable land for construction of bigger Hospital at Car Nicobar for better Health Care of Tribal Community at Car Nicobar.
The first Headman of Perka Village Late Mr.Reuben readily agreed to provide suitable land for construction of Civil Hospital.
The Construction work started during 1958 and completed in the year 1960 as a Civil Hospital, Car Nicobar and inaugurated by the Chief Commissioner Late MV.Raj Wade on 9th September,1960.
On the 13th September,2003 the Civil Hospital Car Nicobar was renamed as Bishop John Richardson Hospital Car Nicobar in the memory of the Late. Bishop John Richardson of this island.
A New OPD Block was constructed and inaugurated on 7th January,2012 by the Hon’ble Lt Governor Rtd.Lt General Bhupinder Singh,AVSM(PVSM)